Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Me, the Kotatsu, and the Sci-Fi Channel.....

So, as fall rolls into winter, the temperature just keeps dropping. The leaves are finally starting to change, so when I look up at the mountains there are brilliant shades of red and yellow mixed in with the green staring back at me in all their vivid seasonal glory. While this is all beautiful, and I’m thrilled to death that the humidity is gone (seriously I am from the Northwest, I can’t handle humidity), it’s getting bloody cold! Now, this was never an issue in America. The biggest difference right now between my native first world country, and my current first world country of residence is CENTRAL HEATING. It is nowhere to be found. They just don’t have it. So, how do the Japanese keep warm? Well, let me introduce the Kotatsu. I wish I was making this up, but I am dead serious. I am sitting under this table as we speak, making this face....


This is my Kotatsu, it came with my paper house. 

So, here's how it works
**********************
Step 1: Remove the top


Step 2: put a blanket under the top, and place the top back on.

Step 3: plug in the Kotatsu.


Now, there are several different ways to stay warm under the Kotatsu.

Position 1: Just put your legs under it while you work, or eat, or watch mindless television on your computer. If you do it this way, you can probably share the warmth with a buddy. Since I don’t have a buddy right now, this isn’t really an issue.


Position 2:Lie under the Kotatsu atop your futon. This is a good way to warm your buns, but your feet are left exposed. Lame sauce. However, this is a good way to stay warm while reading a book, or again, while watching mindless television on your computer.


Position 3: This is my personal favorite. Curl up into a ball, and submerge your entire tiny little body under the heat of the Kotatsu and do nothing but watch mindless television on your computer.


So, here’s the main issue. Since the rest of my house is so cold, I literally come home, crawl under the table, and remain there all night. I don’t get up until my hunger pangs force me to go hunting in my kitchen for peanut butter and jelly fixings, or until I have to go to the bathroom. For the latter I wait until the last possible moment, because my toilet seat is colder than ice, which is not a pleasant surprise.

So, I think I will spend my first winter in Japan in hibernation under this awkward contraption curled into a ball watching various Sci-Fi channel mini-series. Since my doors are made of paper, correction, since my entire house is made of paper, I wouldn’t exactly consider it very insulated. This whole Kotatsu business makes me feel like one of those little baby chickies at the feed store back in Chehalis. In the winter they were always hiding in the corner of their pens under the blanket of warmth cast out by the heat lamp. Thanks Japan- for making me feel like a baby chicken. 

Speaking of Japan, Japan and I are in a fight right now. That’s right, I have given the entire country its own persona, and we’re not speaking right now. Why? Well, since there is no central heating at school, I come to work wearing at least 5 layers and a wool coat. I wear so much padding, I look like an NFL line-backer, with really tiny little girl legs. Well, after class yesterday one of my teachers actually said, “Ereein-sensei, have you got fat since you come to Japan?” I was completely speechless. Not only am I freezing, but now I am fat?! Thanks again Japan, for transforming my hands and feet into popsicle-worthy extremities, AND for this recent boost to my self -esteem. I wanted to make this face, but I didn't....



That's all for now, stay warm =0)

1 comment:

felicia said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha you sit under a table to keep warm. did you ever think your life would bring you to this moment? ....few people do. oh that's good. keep it comin', eeerin-sensei, you are the main source of laughter these days!!! i miss yoU!