Tuesday, November 4, 2008



I hope everyone had a happy Halloween! Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays, due to the copious amounts of free candy. I spend my day at school running around the office giving all my co-workers hi-fives and shouting “Kyo wa Halloween desu!” (which means “Today is Halloween!") I then spent the rest of the day in class preaching what a fellow ALT called "the gospel of Halloween," and giving candy to any student who were brave enough to come to my desk and say “Trick-O-Treato.” Needless to say, the day flew by and I was over at Greg’s kicking off my three-day weekend.

So, Friday night Greg invited Hunter, Danielle, Yuka, and his neighbor over for a spaghetti dinner. It really hit the spot, and shortly after dinner the drinking games began…

Exhibit 1: Adults having an adult meal



Exhibit 2: The Mushroom of cards atop our beer can.... oh Kings, drinking game of champions!



Exhibit 3: Grown adults decree that anyone who uses a word with the letter "B" must have Dinosaur arms. Greg was the first to fall into the trap.

Followed by Hunter, who insists on making what I can only describe as "Wookie" noises every time he's stuck with Dino arms.


Watching people drink is the funniest part of Dino arms.

Darn Dino arms, they're only funny when it's not you....




Exhibit 4: Hunter decides to run his stubby Dino arms through my hair?


Exhibit 5: the evening's participants


The Boys.......


The girls.....



After awhile we decided it was time to walk down to the beach and have ourselves a Hollow’s Eve bonfire. It took us awhile to get the fire going, but eventually we got it to work. It’s a miracle no one ended up with third degree burns.

The boys attempt to make fire. Now, take not of Hunter handy head-lamp. You would think he spends his 9-5 hours working in a mine, but no, he just has a headlamp. You never know when you'll need a handy-dandy head lamp.
Once Danielle stepped in to help the fire actually got going

So, with the fire ablaze we curled up with our beers, made smores, and enjoyed the good company.

She was pretty proud of her work

this is best friend Hunter. we take adorable pictures
Clearly everyone was enjoying themselves...
we made fire!
aw, this is just cute!
I think I could subside on nothing but smores and be a happy, happy panda.

The next morning, our haggard crew drove into Oita City for the Halloween Costume Party at the PEI Pub. Thanks to some clever costume shopping on Mom’s part at the Kids’ section of Target, I was looking uber awesome as a Jedi Knight. My partners in crime (Greg and Hunter) were dressed as an Indian Warrior (Greg) and Gizmo from Gremlins (that would be Hunter). We also had a 50’s lounge singer, a pirate, a construction worker, and a recently crowned Miss American (complete with realistic “I can’t stop crying” make-up). Everyone had a good time, and I spent the bulk of the night stabbing people with my collapsible light saber and laughing maniacally. MAUWHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This was taken on the bus, on our way to Danielle's apartment. I was very upset that Hunter refused to wear his Halloween costume on the bus. We're white, and we live in Japan, people look at us like we're wearing costumes everyday as it is. I tried to use a Jedi mind trick to "Force" him into it (haha, nerd joke), but the Force is also strong with Hunter. 


These are my two partners in crime, Greg and Hunter. Considering that we're all three fairly dorky, we get along famously. 
I don't think I'll ever be able to think of Gizmo the same again. 
Here's Miss America, she was just crowned, so she'd been crying. We also had a pirate, and a construction worker. The Jedi Knight costume was clearly the most 12-year-old boy inspired idea. 
This is Shahzana. She's Canadian, but that's alright =0) 

 I seriously spent the whole night stabbing my friends with my light saber. 
I'm using the Force to make Kate's vest glow
These two weren't dressed like this for Halloween. They work a snack stand on the street, so they're dressed like this every weekend. 
Leopards!
PEI was clearly very crowded, but if you look right behind me, you'll see a very convincing Obama costume. 



The next day the crew took a train from Oita City to beautiful Usuki for the yearly bamboo lantern festival. Walking through the streets of Usuki was absolutely dreamlike. The carve all these lanterns out of bamboo and put tea-lights in them. Some of the designs were quite intricate.

Upon arrival in wonderful Usuki.


I like to think I could drive this train to Seattle for a visit.
This was done by the students at Usuki High school. 




Clearly this one was my favorite.



I was really blown away by this. Check it out! There were all these wax lotus blossoms on wires, so it looked like a candle-lit lotus garden. 



Is it weird that I want this in my yard?
So, needless to say it was a weekend of fun and adventure. We stopped in at a really cool bar in Usuki (laden with Alien, Barbarella, Mad Max. Blade Runner, Star Wars, and other geeky Erin what nots...) which was selling Coronas and Tacos. So, we had a night cap and headed home. 



These two make me smile


Yuka is my new Japanese friend

Look Papa! Hostess!


Shahzana and I enjoy taking picture together. She said, and I quote, "Oh my GOD! Our Skin looks fabulous together! It's like we're a Twix bar! I'm the chocolate, and you're the white wafer!" 
Happy Halloween everyone!

1 comment:

felicia said...

oh little eray, you are so beautiful and glowing! look at all the adventures you're havin'! my mom would love the lotus blossom garden, of course. britt says she's visiting you in japan and i would totally be there if tickets were only two hundred dollars instead of...seven or eight hundred....man oh man! :)

and can i express how HAPPY i am you blogged again?!?! i check every freakin' day!!