Saturday, October 18, 2008

"The Slice"

So, needless to say there are a lot of things about my day to day life that frustrate the "be-jebus" out of me. For example, going to work everyday and being approached at least 7 times a day by my boss with the "excuse me Ereeeeeeeen-sensei, can I talk to you now? How do you say......." followed closely by things like "students not watch TV. How do you say not watch TV" Generally I smile and politely reply with things like "I don't watch TV." While secretly my inner monologue, who I have always imagined looks like Gimli from "The Lord of the Rings," stomps on my brain and screams (with an axe in his hand, arms flailing) "Why on Earth do you teach English, why??!?!"  Then of course, he retreats back to wherever it is that the inner monologue lives, and looks disgruntled....



So, as an outlet for my repressed frustration, I've taken running as a serious hobby. I'm even running a 10K Marathon in November, which doesn't seem like much, but I'd like to remind everyone that generally I am very lazy, watch Star Trek and eat ice cream for meals...... On the plus side, all this running has been a great way to explore Kunisaki, and a few weeks ago I found the most amazing place. Let me introduce you all to "The Slice."





I call this place "The Slice" because it is  my little slice of heaven, my little slice of solice, my little slice of sanity. If I'm not jogging along side the ocean, I am sitting on the beach with a book, toes in the sand, listening to the waves, and sometimes my I-pod. 





Generally I am the only person there, which seems sad considering how pretty it is. Nevertheless, being so close to the water makes me a happy little panda. I don't know what I'm going to do when it actually starts to get cold, but for now I am stealing away to "the slice" during every possible spare second. It sounds cheesy, but it is very comforting to know that home is somewhere across that big ocean, which means ya'll aren't so far away....






1 comment:

felicia said...

i will swim across it to meet you, dear Erin, from the cold, polluted waters of Bellingham Bay to your little slice o' heaven.