Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Winston's last visit to Oita-ken....

So, we're officially at countdown status. I have T-Minus 35 days left in Kunisaki. I'm considering taking some construction paper and tape, and creating a contraption in the likeness of a "Christmas counter-downer," only this one would be a "Kunisaki counter-downer." I have the time on my hands and the materials, but I'm lacking the motivation. 

Since my time here is running short, Winston decided to fly down this past weekend and pay me one last visit here at my paper house. 

My paper house in all its flammable glory 

We had a pretty packed schedule. 

Friday: Hit Parade
Saturday: "African Safari"
Sunday: Lazy beach day 

Man, I love lists. Okay, so on to Hit Parade. There's not much to tell really, this is my third time blogging about it, and it just keeps getting cooler.  What's cooler than a bunch of Japanese people dressed for a Sock Hop with righteous hair and classy tunes? Nothing, that's right- Hit Parade is the cat's pajamas. 

Betsy, Danielle, and myself. 

on the dance floor

Winston and I rockin' our fifties feet. 

Mouseketeers? 

Cool pic, eh?

We woke up on Saturday morning, had some breakfast, and drove to Beppu to explore the "African Safari." Now, I went to the African Safari when I first came to Oita, but that was in a car. This time, Winston and I opted for the Jungle Bus. 

Now, the Jungle Bus is a bus shaped like a safari animal with a metal mesh barrier. People inside the bus can feed the safari animals snacks with tongs through the mesh. Safer than it sounds, I assure you. 


behold, the Jungle Bus


Winston and I set off on our Jungle Bus adventure

Our tray of Jungle Bus snacks, and the tongs 

Winston fed a ram

I fed a lordly lion

A Pride of Proud Lions 

Elephant!!!!

Giraffe!!!!

Winston and I took a typical one armed couple picture in front of the Jungle Bus

We slept in on Sunday, and headed to the beach in Kunisaki. We got some cool pictures. 

Two kissy kids on the beach with their books. 

Pale girl meets ocean

Kelp, moo grass of the sea

With those colorful arms, who needs a tan?

Watch out, he'll unleash his kung-fu all up on you!

Winston wading....

Thus ended our weekend. Monday morning I took Winston to the airport before work. Sad day. But the end is in sight, and we're at the final countdown. And while I've enjoyed my time here, I'm ready to leave too. Hooray for summer! 

3 comments:

the sander family said...

Callie loved your comment on her blog, thank you! We will see you in August at Nana and Papa's party, everyone is so excited to see you....

callie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
callie said...

hi erin its callie i really liked those animal pictures you took i have never been that close to any animal like that so you are lucky.
miss you
love ya
callie