Monday, June 8, 2009

Gloomy Bear


So once upon a few weekends ago, my friends convinced me to go to a beer garden in Oita City with them. Now, let me preface this by saying that there are several reasons why I don't generally go out. Let's make a list, we all know I like lists.

1. I do RIDICULOUS things
2. I giggle uncontrollably
3. I like to be in bed by 11. Going drinking usually doesn't result in getting a good night's sleep.
4. I equate drinking money with book money. My inner monologue says, "Well, you could spend $60 on beer and bars tonight OR you could order Isaac Asimov's Foundation series of Amazon.jp AND get free shipping. The books usually win over the beer.

However, the beer garden in Oita City is open from 6-9, it's all you can eat and all you can drink, and it's only about $30. Even I can't say "no" to that. 


"Dino Arms," a frequently issued drinking game penalty. 
Caitlyn, Betsy, and myself. 
Our table and the beer garden
the empties...

Now, since I don't eat meat or dairy I was a bit limited in my food options. By limited I mean that all I ate was pineapple, edamame beans, and some french fries. Now with 3 hours of all you can drink, we packed a deck of cards and organized a few games, which ended in me getting tanked. Observe: 


yeppers.... giggles McGee at it again. 

Once the beer garden closed, we decided to head to the arcade to do "Purikura." Now, "Purikura" is crazy popular in Japan. They're basically green screen photo booths. Here are a few examples (taken in Fukuoka back in January, it was totally worth the $5 bucks)

Very Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Someday I'll have my very own potbellied pink pigmy elephant...
Three magical princesses ride a majestic carousel unicorn into a galaxy of octopi and stars... it happens in Japan. 

So back to the story, the afore shown examples of "Purikura" inspired us to head to the arcade. 


I don't know why I was so sad
Darin and Ryan being Darin and Ryan. 

the faces say it all

In the end we canned the "Purikura" plan and discovered the claw machines. Now, everyone headed for the "Hello Kitty" and "Rilakuma" machines. Everyone but me. Why? Because I HATE "Hello Kitty" and "Rilakuma." 

Reasons I hate "Hello Kitty"




1. Hello Kitty has no mouth
2. Hello Kitty's facial expression never changes
3. Hello Kitty has a pet cat- creepy
4. Hello Kitty reminds me of Jeffrey Dahmer. I don't know why, maybe because Hello Kitty's vacant expression leads me to believe that she's homicidal. My mind works in mysterious ways. 

Reasons I hate Rilakuma:

1. Rilakuma pretty much means "lazy bear." This bear has way too much attitude for a "lazy bear." Anyone who is legitimately lazy is too lazy by definition to be so "in your face" about their laziness.
2. While Rilakuma has a mouth, once again his facial expression is vacant, expressionless, and never changing. 

Then I found him, a Japanese animation character I can really get behind. Gloomy Bear:

Meet Gloomy Bear:


As I post this picture, I can hear my Grandma's voice in my head saying, "Erin! That's gross!" But, hear me out. Gloomy Bear's tag says, and I quote: "GLOOMY The Naughty Grizzly. "Gloomy" is Pity's pet bear. His height is about 7 ft. He is well trained...except he as a hard time remembering not to attack humans."

Now, unlike "Hello Kitty" or Rilakuma, Gloomy Bear doesn't hide who he is. While his expression is vacant, his face, mouth, and claws are covered in blood. There's no questioning Gloomy Bear's motives, he'll mess you up. So, for reasons unknown Drunk Erin fell in love with Gloomy Bear, at which time she bullied the arcade employees into moving the bears around in the claw machines TWICE, thus, she won not one, but TWO murderous bears. 
One word: Victory 

True, elated, drunken joy. 

So I woke up on Sunday morning snuggling my new bears... unexpected yet hilarious. 

Cheers to beer gardens and bears. 

No comments: