Sunday, June 28, 2009

Zombie Apocalypse?


It’s the rainy season now, and the weather is pretty dodgy. It’s hot, it’s humid, and every afternoon there’s a downpour. Everything is damp, all the time. I have no doubt that this is what it would feel like to be in a washing machine. 

The worst part of my Monday-Friday life is the school's A/C policy. The bureaucrats up top have decided that the A/C doesn't need to be turned on until the teacher's room hits 82 degrees. Then, the A/C can be switched on BUT ONLY to maintain that 82 degrees. What is so magic about 82 degrees? I have no idea. And even then, we aren't allowed to turn the A/C on til July. What is so magic about July? I have no idea. 

So my kids pluck at my t-shirts and say “Sa-mma crothes?” and I grumble “yes.” I’ve tried to explain to the Vice Principle that this is a first world contry and that my sweat glands don’t operate on a calendar, and that I start sweating way before office hits 82 degrees. My pleas have fallen on deaf ears.

So I've taken to wearing pretty much whatever I want to school. Baggy cargo shorts, don't mind if I do. Star Wars t-shirts, why yes I think I will. Sports bras, why yes I've ordered several off Target.com these past few months. Nothing makes me sleepier than warm weather. On Thursday around 3 I decided to read my book. I woke up at 4, face in my book amidst a puddle of my own drool.... professional, neh?

Now, North Korea's nuclear activity is making Japan nervous- but not as nervous as Swine flu. Everyone wears masks, and every morning homeroom teachers chart the student temps. A few towns over a kid got Swine flu (ONE KID), and 10 schools were closed. There is more on the news about Swine flu and Michael Jackson than unfriendly North Korea.

So because I’m bored, I can’t keep my feet on the ground, and I have an over active imagination I spend a lot of time thinking. In my mind this muggy weather, the Swine flu pandemic, and the threat of a neighbor with a nuclear arsenal can mean only one thing; Zombie Apocalypse. This muggy weather makes Japan the perfect warm petri-dish environment for the hypothetical "hybrid- nuclear- Swine- flu -super -virus" to thrive in. Said virus will take the nation by storm and BOOM, Zombie Apocalypse

So I wear t-shirts, sports bras, shorts, and sandals. That was if the zombie apocalypse really hits, I’ll be geared up to take my stand- armed with my weapons of choice: a Light Saber and a Chainsaw Bow-Staff.

My friends share my sentiments, so this weekend we all had a get together in Oita. Friday we played drinking games in a room with 2 giant fans on "high." Friday's drinking game was "The Power Hour," a YouTube treasure featuring the intros of all your favorite 90s television classics. You take a shot of beer after every intro, and reflect on the shows that shaped your childhood and molded you into the citizen you are today. Sophisticated, I know. Saturday we had a picnic in the park. 

Behold: YouTube's "Power Hour." You can't help but sing along, the nostalgia takes you by storm! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twgWKFSF3JA

Danielle and Darin! 
Hunter, the fresh face of "The Power Hour"
Me, Danielle, and Caitlyn pose for a cute picture
the giggles ensue, due to Caitlyn's claws of doom
and the giggles continue 
Darin is looking at me rather judgmentally... 
Hunter attempts to seduce me, but alas, the Force is too strong with me. I am impervious to seduction
Ryan looks so classy with his beer cozy
Saturday afternoon Picnic Salsa. "O-I-SHI!" aka "Delicious"
Betsy and Darin play a little Saturday Soccer 

I'm leaving Oita in 24 days...whoa

No comments: