Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hat? I think so....

People usually say that New York is "the city that never sleeps," but after a few weeks in Tokyo I'd have to disagree. If I had to use one word to describe Tokyo, it'd be busy. I don't think anyone in this city every just chills out. Everyone on the streets or on the trains looks like they're running late. I feel like the only person in Tokyo who strolls. If I ride my bike to work in the mornings I have to watch out for weaving cabs looking for their morning fares. If I take the train I have to wedge myself into a car, bury my face in a salary man's back, and wait for my station. I feel like the lazy bee in the hive, and it's like stress through osmosis. Between working 2 jobs my schedule is a delicate balance of working/eating/sleeping. Needless to say, my free time has become quite valuable, and since Fall is here there are a few things I can't seem to get enough of.

1. Dresses and Tights.

These ones are all green and patterned. Since I'd rather save than shop at the moment, tights are a nice, relatively inexpensive addiction.

2. Apples

I seriously eat 3-4 apples a day. I don't know what it is, but I can't get enough of them. Considering that apples are delicious and nutritious, this isn't a bad addiction either. At least I'm full of fiber. Winston thinks it's quite funny that I'm a black hole for all the fruit in the house.

3. Tea


I drink Green Tea in the mornings, Chai Tea in the afternoons, and Peppermint Tea after dinner. Maybe it's just because my lion mug is so darn cute, I really don't know. At least I'm hydrated.

4. Crocheting

When I was 19 my beautiful Grandmother taught me how to crochet. Since then, nearly everyone I know has received a scarf for Christmas/ other related holiday. My brother even got his own blanket a few years ago. Well, yesterday I managed to branch out, and make a hat. I was very proud that it not only looked like a hat, but the kind of hat you could buy in an actual store.

it's a hat!

granted, I made this one for Winston, but I just wanted you to see how cute it looks on! Now no one will be nervous when I ask them what color hat they'd like as a holiday gift.

5. Old Movies

Since Tokyo is a big expensive city, and Winston and I aren't really fans of big loud smoky over-priced clubs, when we want to do a little relaxing date night, we throw on an old movie. Lately Alfred Hitchcock has been our director of choice, but if you know your movies you'll see there's a Humphrey Bogart classic on the list as well. Here's a few of the movies we've watched the past few weeks:

1. Rear Window
2. Strangers on a Train
3. The Maltese Falcon
4. The Birds
5. Vertigo

Next on the list are:

1. The Ten Commandments
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. Cleopatra
4. Tokyo Joe

We don't consider ourselves boring, we consider ourselves indispensable wells of knowledge for bar trivia nights. That's just how we roll.

Okay, that's all for now- til I see another dog in a raincoat or a memorable Lolita girl.

No comments: